March 28, 2022
Allard and Roberts is growing! We are an award-winning interior design firm located in Asheville, NC, and we are seeking a professional and experienced Interior Designer to join our team.
A+R offers full-service interior design and project management services for high-end residential projects, including extensive renovations and new construction, in the 1.5 – 5 million dollar price range. Our focus is on modern and transitional interiors with an uncluttered and pared down aesthetic. We work collaboratively with our clients and their architects, builders and subcontractors from initial design concept through to project completion. This includes space planning, construction drawings, selections and specifications of FF&E, regular site visits to ensure implementation of design intent, custom designs of both architectural details and furniture/decor pieces, seeing the project through to the final artwork and decor details and finally, the punchlist. We also collaborate with local artists and craftsmen to provide fully custom designs for our clientele. This ensures that our clients receive something designed just for them, while also investing back into their local community by supporting local makers.
This position will require working both collaboratively and independently. The Interior Designer role works closely with the Principal Designer, who establishes the initial contact with the client and sets the overall tone and direction for each project. This position then works independently to implement the established design direction, and communicates directly with the Principal Designer, client and design/build team throughout the project.
Skills needed for this position include having strong construction specification and drafting experience (preferably in Archicad), experience in selecting, specifying and pricing custom furniture, strong communication and time management skills, ability to communicate clearly and effectively, to work independently, being highly organized, and confidence in working with builders, trades, vendors and clients.
A+R is a company that values work/life balance. With that in mind, we have structured our work week as a 36 hour per week full-time position. Typically, we close at 12:30 on Friday unless we have a client in town for meetings. This is intended to give each employee the opportunity to focus on their own personal and family needs outside of office hours. There is also an ability to work remotely on certain days when drafting is the focus, and in person meetings aren’t scheduled.
This is a salaried position, and the salary will be commensurate with experience. There is also a benefits package that includes PTO + paid holidays, health insurance, paid family leave, and a matching and profit sharing 401K. We are passionate about investing back into both our team and our local community!
- Work with Principal Designer to establish the interior design project concepts
- Develop whole home design concepts in collaboration with Principal Designer
- Selection of fixtures, finishes, furniture and decor for the whole house
- Guide and execute Interior Design projects through all phases of design
- Prepare interior plans and elevations, details, furniture plans and 3D concept perspectives in Archicad
- Produce all necessary interiors-related construction documents to a high level of accuracy and detail
- Effectively manage the construction administration process for interior construction
- Build and maintain relationships with clients, architects, vendors, builders and subcontractors
- Accompany client to selections meetings in showrooms, format + distribute notes to vendors, then check bids for accuracy before sharing with the client and/or project team members
- Site visits to review rough framing, plumbing locations, lighting/electrical, etc
- Meet with builder and/or subcontractors on-site to ensure proper implementation of design intent
- Communication with clients to present options, pricing, design ideas, and update them on the progress of their project
- Coordinate with architects, builders and subcontractors to ensure all team members are working from the latest documents and information
- Track billable time and enter into invoicing software at the end of each day
- BA in Interior Design or similar design degree
- NCIDQ Licensure is preferred but not required
- Minimum 3-5 years experience, 5+ is preferred
- Experience with Archicad (expectation is that candidate will be able to produce construction drawings in Archicad with little to no additional training)
- Microsoft Office or Google Docs proficiency
- Strong design and graphic presentation skills
- Excellent written, oral and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to collaborate with others in a deadline driven environment
- Technical proficiency in building interior construction, techniques and materials
- General knowledge of building and life safety codes.
Please include a brief cover letter with your application indicating your interest and qualifications for this position. No phone calls, please.
Preference to applicants living in Asheville or within driving distance of Asheville. Out of area applicants should not apply, as relocation expenses are not covered. Please send your resume along with examples of your work via this site or to the following email address: email@example.com. Thank you!